World Book day – April 23
Social media has brought the culture of celebration days to the forefront. Yesterday, it was “Earth Day”, today, it is “World Book Day”. World book and copyright day, which we are celebrating today was organized by UNESCO. It was started with the aim to develop the habit of reading in children for pleasure and inspire more people to write and publish. This is the day to celebrate and honour all writers.
It was first celebrated in 1995 when the habit of reading was being exchanged with scrolling social media. It was an attempt to bring back the youngsters back to hold books rather than smart phones. Afterall, we all know that books are a person’s best friends.
April 23rd was chosen to celebrate this day as it marks the death anniversary of world’s two greatest writers – Shakespeare and prominent Spanish chronicler Inca G de la Vega. The birthdays of authors like Maurice Druon, Vladimir Nabokov and Manuel Meija Vallejo also happen to be on the same day.
Unesco aimed for more children, from all backgrounds to develop a life long habit of reading for pleasure which in turn may benefit their chances of improved life.
Here are some of the most famous quotes about books that will motivate you to read.
- “The only thing you have to know is the location of the library.” ― Albert Einstein
- “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” ― Ernest Hemingway
- “Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” ― Mark Twain
- “That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.” ― Jhumpa Lahiri, The Namesake
- “The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” ― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
- “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” ― Toni Morrison
- “I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” ― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
I am participating in #BlogchatterA2Z.