Reverse Obituary – A Life Reflection Document
In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, we often lose sight of the bigger picture and the impact we want to make during our time on Earth. That’s where your “Reverse Obituary” comes into play – a powerful tool designed to help you reflect on your life, consider how you want people to remember you, and align your actions with your life’s purpose. This document is not just a piece of paper; it’s a valuable resource for adding meaning and value to your life.
In the midst of our fast-paced lives, we often find ourselves caught up in the daily grind, chasing success, and navigating the challenges that come our way. We rarely take the time to pause and reflect on the lives we’re living or the paths we’re forging. That’s where “Reverse Obituaries” come into play, offering us a unique perspective on life and inspiring us to live better, happier, and more contented lives.
What Are Reverse Obituaries?
Reverse obituaries are a refreshing departure from traditional obituaries. Instead of commemorating the lives of those who have passed away, RO celebrates the lives of individuals who are very much alive. Reverse obituaries are self-written and help a person to think about their own life. It is like putting the spotlight on self-accomplishments, values, contributions, and dreams. This also means to think about the positive impact one had on their communities, professions, and the world. It is like reflecting on your own life! I find it wonderful.
This concept of reverse obituary came from well-known thinker Warren Buffet as he replied to a question by a teenager. He has a knack for simplifying the most complex problems.
This teenager asked Warren – How do you avoid mistakes in life?
Warren Buffet: You should draft your own obituary and then strive to live up to it,” he advised the young fan. For a nonagenarian, contemplating what people might say about you after you’ve passed may be a more familiar exercise than it is for a teenager. However, Buffett’s concept of envisioning the end of your life and then charting your course backwards has a rich and enduring tradition that transcends age boundaries. I wish I had come across this two or maybe three decades ago. (This is part of the answer, which is relevant to our topic of reverse obituary. The other half was about life and mistakes, equally thought-provoking and will write about it sometime soon)
What is a Life Reflection Document?
A Life Reflection Document is a personal document where you contemplate and record your life’s journey, aspirations, values, and the legacy you wish to leave behind. It’s an ongoing project that evolves as you grow and achieve your goals. Here’s how you can use it to guide your life towards fulfilment and purpose:
1. Start with Self-Reflection: Begin by pondering your values, beliefs, and what truly matters to you. Reflect on your past achievements, dreams, and the experiences that have shaped you.
2. Define Your Legacy: Ask yourself: “How do I want people to remember me?” Think about the impact you want to make on your family, friends, community, or the world. This will be the guiding star of your document.
3. Set Your Goals: Use your “Reverse Obituary” to outline the goals you want to achieve to fulfil your purpose. These goals should align with your values and desired legacy.
4. Fill in the Blanks: If there are achievements or experiences you haven’t realized yet, this document serves as a roadmap to fill in those blanks. Identify what you need to do to accomplish those outstanding aspirations.
5. Embrace Growth and Change: Your Reverse Obituary Document is not set in stone. As you grow and evolve, update it accordingly. It should be a living, breathing representation of your life’s journey.
6. Prioritize Community and Service: Consider how you can contribute to your community or the lives of others. Write down ways you want to give back and make a positive impact.
7. Celebrate Your Journey: Reverse obituaries encourage you to celebrate life and achievements along the way. Don’t wait for a future moment to be content; find joy in the present.
8. Cultivate Resilience: Acknowledge challenges and setbacks as opportunities for growth. Use your document to document how you’ve overcome obstacles and how they’ve shaped you.
9. Keep It Accessible: Your Reverse Obituary Document should be easily accessible, so you can revisit it regularly to ensure you’re on the right track towards fulfilling your life’s purpose.
10. Share Your Wisdom: Consider sharing your life’s reflections and insights with loved ones, as it can provide valuable guidance and inspiration to those who follow in your footsteps.
In conclusion, a Reverse Obituary Document is a tool that empowers one to craft a life aligned with the purpose and values. By filling in the blanks of what you have yet to accomplish and shaping your legacy, you can add depth and meaning to your journey. Remember that your document is a work in progress, reflecting the ongoing evolution of your life. Use it to guide you towards a life filled with fulfilment, happiness, and the positive impact you wish to make on the world.
This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon 2023
You can read my old posts for the Blogchatter half marathon here.
Leaving you with this thought…